The previous Baxter State Park post was all about color. This one is all about a Black & White interpretation of the park. All of the images in this post were originally captured in color as multiple HDR images, converted using Photomatix to a Tiff file, and then converted to Black & White using Photoshop’s Channel Mixer to create a custom Black & White image. Each image was then Dodged and Burned to accentuate various features. For me, the key to a great Black & White image is to be sure to capture a great color image – There are no short cuts!! Enjoy!!
Resources for more information:
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) software: http://www.hdrsoft.com/
- Maine Foliage Report: http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/report/index.shtml
- Maine Appalachian Trail Club: http://www.matc.org/
- Official US Government Web Site: http://www.nps.gov/appa/index.htm
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home
- Baxter State Park: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/